Only three locomotives from the German builder Lokomotivfabrik Krauss & Co. were recorded to have come to Western Australia.
2ft gauge Krauss 0-4-0WT - build number 2181 of 1889 is the 5th oldest steam locomotive in Australia and is the only remaining example of a Krauss in WA.
It was imported into Australia by busy contractor John Robb for construction duties in Victoria on the "Victoria Dock" project. It found use elsewhere in Victoria and South Australia before being purchased by the East Murchison United Gold Mines Pty Ltd and shipped to WA in the early 1900's and was used until 1919. It was later sold to the Western Machinery Co. of Kalgoorlie, arriving there in 1922.
It remained the property of W.M.C. until 1963 when it was purchased by Lew Whiteman and railed to the W.A.G.R.'s Midland workshops where it remained until the mid 1970's when it was put on display alongside ex Magnet Tramway, O&K 0-4-4-0 Mallet No.3 on his Caversham property (Whiteman Park) at Mussel Pool, This, and other land held by a variety of private owners, was purchased by the State Government in 1978 and combined to form Whiteman Park.
Early in 1984, Lew Whiteman advised that WALRPA was being given the Krauss and Mallet locomotives that had formed an entry statement into Mussel Pool for many years. The Krauss arrived at the Mussel Pool BBR depot in June 1984.
Its outline was later adopted for the BBR logo.
Due to the poor condition of the Krauss, it has languished in the depot compounds since arrival there in 1984. Restoration of the little locomotive to working order is of low priority for the BBR mainly due its condition and size.
Over the years it has been the subject of intended restoration by individual members and has been dismantled and parts stored to prevent theft and deterioration.
In more recent times, a shed was built for storage of small items and the Krauss was relocated to this covered storage. Whilst undercover, further dismantling and preparation of the major components was undertaken and these have been sandblasted and painted to prevent further deterioration with an objective of at least putting it back together for display purposes. Some missing parts have been located in Tasmania and these have been generously donated by the Redwater Creek Steam and Heritage Society to assist BBR's reassembly of the Krauss
After many months of work by member Charlie De Bruin, the Krauss chassis was returned to its re-profiled wheels on Friday 30/11/07. (Prior to re-profiling, the wheels had been so well worn that there was a deep groove in the wheel surface).
Charlie assisted by M. Watson spent the day, and into the evening, reassembling the parts of the locomotive. As the evening wore on the boiler was refitted to the chassis, along with the chimney, cab side sheets and front sheet/spectacle plate. Other items added were the smokebox door, fire hole door, main steam delivery pipes, sandbox and reverser arm & reverser support bracket in cab
On Saturday 1/12/07 the BBR Annual Dinner was held at Whiteman Village Junction Station
The Krauss locomotive, was hauled from the Mussel Pool depot to WVJ by the "Yellow Rose" and was put on display in 3 road for members to inspect..
Bennett Brook Railway
Webmaster N. Blinco